On December 6-7, 2016 the OPEN Media Hub carried out a Master Class in Media Management focusing on innovative strategies for print and online media.
The Master Class was attended by 10 managers and senior editors of print and online media in Ukraine and focused on issues such as:
- Diversifying the media brands: print, online, audio, video, education, etc. under one roof;
- Print Strategies: Reconciling business objectives and public service. Educational projects as a new source of revenue and audience growth;
- Auxiliary Revenues: Events. Supplements, Specials, Books, Newsletters, Client Publishing;
- Paid content: Print-online content management, subscription packages, pricing, technological solutions;
- Online trends and strategies: video, podcasts, newsletters, social media, data journalism, ad blocking, etc.;
- Integrated newsrooms: main models, structure, workflow, management.
The Master Class was led by Veselin Vačkov, a well-known Czech journalist and media executive. Currently, he is the director of the oldest and most prestigious Czech daily newspaper Lidové noviny. Previously, between 2000 and 2009, he served as the paper’s editor-in-chief. Between 2009 and 2013, he was the regional director of the MAFRA Media Group. He has been member of the Supervisory board of the Czech Publishers’ Association since 2008. Veselin holds a degree in English, Czech and Slavic Studies from Charles University in Prague. He has also completed a Ph.D. degree there. He is an alumnus of Jesus College, University of Oxford, where he studied computational linguistics. He started his journalistic career as business reporter and foreign correspondent. As editor-in-chief he oversaw the thorough modernization of Lidové noviny ant its news site Lidovky.cz and their transformation into an integrated multimedia operation. Veselin lives in Prague. He is a seasoned long-distance runner.
For the course’s presentation material go to this link.