Call for Expression of Interest for Production Support
for Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Egypt, Georgia, Jordan, Libya, Lebanon, Moldova, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia, and Ukraine
‘Open Call for Being 20′
The Open Media Hub has launched a Call for Expression of Interest for Production Support, a scheme to enable TV and online video journalists in the European Neighbourhood to create content related to the European Union and their respective countries’ relations with the European Union. The scheme is now open in for Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Egypt, Georgia, Jordan, Libya, Lebanon, Moldova, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia, and Ukraine.
Besides financial support, media professionals will benefit from practical guidance to produce, disseminate content at an appropriate quality level. This entire programme aims at delivering greater public awareness of the actions and impact of the European Neighbourhood Policy and strengthening domestic and local audience interest in EU values.
Being 20 Concept:
Please have a look at our website to see examples of stories already produced:
- 1’45’’ edited story;
- Choose a character (a 20-year-old or thereabouts youth) it can also be self-authored by the journalist;
- Choose meaningful locations for the interview or an event, a gathering
- Tell: their story, their aspirations, their dreams, their successes, their passions…
- You may choose to ask questions in different locations or during an event allowing 30 seconds for each sequence, choosing each time, a different angle, framing, or movement travelling shot. You may also choose to take one theme and look at various aspects of a given question;
- Allow a 20 seconds’ intro situating your country and town as if you were addressing someone who had never been there.
Example of questions to be answered:
- Being 20 years old (or thereabouts) in your country: what does it mean?
- Tell us who s/he is and what is it to be 20 in your country;
- Ask your interviewee what is that s/he thinks define her/him the most?
- What is the world around her/him like? (Choose a location and explain why?)
- How does s/he apprehend the challenges to come? In her/his professional/personal life?
- Who are her/his major influences, politically, culturally…?
- What defines her/his generation in your country?
- Past or present?
- Hopes for the future?
- Why is s/he who s/he is today?
- What are the landmarks that s/he holds, dear?
- Who are the people that matter to her/him most?
- What does the EU mean for her/him?
Application and Eligibility
All applicants must pitch their story and fill in the online application form (Français, English, Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Georgian, Belarusian, Armenian, Azerbaijani) with the required details.
If selected, applicants agree to submit all the required documents, including contract, letter of intent, intended budget, waivers and risk assessments together. Templates are available for download on http://openmediahub.com/open-calls/application-documents/. Applicants need to demonstrate that they are duly authorised by the legal entity to produce and to publish their story by producing a letter of intent from an authorised representative. This letter must state an eligible media outlet’s intention to broadcast or publish the eventual production, including an indication of the date(s) and context(s) of the planned broadcast or publication.
Eligible applicants are:
- News organisations (e.g., TV stations, online news companies);
- Journalistic organisations (e.g., associations, foundations) if they can demonstrate a publication commitment from a media outlet;
- Audiovisual production companies;
- Journalists acting on behalf of any of the above.
- Freelance journalists with a letter of intent signed by a broadcaster.
Exception: Open Media Hub may decide, on a case-by-case basis, that individual journalists or television producers are eligible without legal entity backing or endorsement. Similarly, will relevant applications from bloggers, vloggers and citizen journalists be considered if they can demonstrate a track record of significant audience reach on their platforms.
The amount of support will always take the topic, media outlet, and country into account and be proportionate to the typical prices and rates in your country.
The maximum disbursement for
- A piece up to 1:45 minutes: €800;
Successful applicants of this call for production support “Being 20” may also receive support for on-air or online usage of their new production and other “Being 20” stories available from the OMH website.
To create a “Being 20” strand for your outlets:
Applicants are encouraged to suggest their own strand to use these stories:
- As a series (with or without a presenter…)
- As a magazine programmes, in a studio with or without guests
- As an online publication
- Combinations of formats across several platforms – broadcast, online and social media etc.
The OPEN Media Hub will support:
- Graphics / studio
- Translating and subtitling in their own language
- Original music…
or alternatively you may download and use the slates developed by the OMH on the links below:
To help you use these unique stories, please submit an example of what you wish to create and a detailed budget. These elements need to be prepared and filled out before submitting them on our on-line application.
Deadline for submission
25 May 2018 – 21 h CET
25 June 2018
Production support agreements shall be issued and signed by
25 July 2018
Deadline for Production
Production should be completed and submitted by the
14 September 2018